Thursday 15 June 2017

Doctor Zhivago

I've been a busy bee lately, uni finished then work took over...

So I thought, the more reason for a decent film to wind down with!
I was in the mood for something good. Not mediocre, not forgettable but good.

Consequently, I hit the classics.

Doctor Zhivago was available on Amazon Prime and every time it was on TV, I'd sit for a little while looking at Omar Sharif say a few lines and change the channel. I was a little kid and my patience wasn't as it is now.

Now that I've seen it, I wish I had seen it earlier, perhaps when I was studying the Russian Revolution at school- I'm certain it would've painted a better picture.

An epic movie of love, I think I read somewhere... It's epic all right, the cinematography was brilliant with some very clever direction (or directing). I like how we never see the narrator speak to Zhivago when he's telling the story. I liked the ice house and the daffodils.

I still don't get why Zhivago loved Lara that much. I mean I didn't really understand their love. It wasn't spelled out for us which I think was nice in a way because it wasn't overindulgent or verbose.

Still, would've liked to hear a poem or two though...

But that's just silly 21st century me. Lara's theme by Maurice Jarre is astounding and the acting is incredible, truly a stellar cast.

The verdict: definitely worth a watch and deserves the reputation it's gained as an epic.

Pasha: I used to admire your poetry.
Zhivago: Thank you.
Pasha: I shouldn't admire it now. I should find it absurdly personal. Don't you agree? Feelings, insights, affections... it's suddenly trivial now. You don't agree; you're wrong. The personal life is dead in Russia. History has killed it. I can see why you might hate me.
Zhivago: I hate everything you say, but not enough to kill you for it.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.