Thursday 9 April 2015

Blog Post 10- The Magic of Miyazaki

The other day I caught 'The Wind Rises' on TV- Hayao Miyazaki's latest animation. It was a good one and worth a watch but admittedly it won't beat some of my old Studio Ghibli favourites that I find myself re-watching over and over again. So I dug out an old review I jotted down about these films, and seeing as I've got the will to blog today here goes nothing!

I have feasted my eyes on a lot of Mr Hayao Miyazaki's stunning animes. Mystical, colourful Japanese wonders- a cross between a movie and a symphony.
This vibrant combination of touching story lines and magical artworks that really transport you to a whole other world- like an eccentric dream or whimsical adventure. 
Sitting on your couch revelling in these movies is truly blissful. 
What really makes these films are the political elements and the profound ideas that are at the very core.
Hayao Miyazaki has great views of the world. One that uses his art to express these ideas is one to admire. 
I can't really summarise the stories with much ease because they are so magical and abstract that you kinda have to let yourself go with them and just enjoy the ride.
The ones that stand out the most are 'Spirited Away' and 'Howl's Moving Castle' personally but I've seen almost all of them and have not been disappointed. Film4 dedicated a whole week of them so I got to catch up with some of these such as 'Kiki's Delivery Service' and 'Ponyo'. 

Here is an attempt at a short introduction to the first Miyazaki film I ever saw so many years ago...

Don't forget to listen out for the star-studded cast of voices! Shihiro is a little girl moving to a new home with her parents. Suddenly as if by fate, they take a different route and end up at an enigmatic abandoned theme park. Shihiro's family invite themselves in and greedily start devouring a deserted prepared buffet while Shihiro, sensing the ominous, vibe wonders off discovering an old bath house. What she is about to embark upon is that they have entered the plane of the spirits and there doesn't seem to be a way out especially when her parents have been turned into pigs ...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.